EU Ecodesign Directive transposed in Ukraine
Versión en español no disponible
Following the development of a strategy for transposition of the EU Ecodesign Directive and Implementing Measures into Ukrainian legislation, in the framework of the INOGATE Programme of the European Commission, the same team of EU and Ukrainian experts provided continued support to the State Agency for Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving of Ukraine (SAEE). The support was provided in the framework of the project FINTECC Ukraine, under a contract of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) with ICF International, between March 2016 and June 2018.
The main purpose of FINTECC Ukraine was to advice SAEE, the Public Procurement Team of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade (ProZorro) and stakeholders in the transposition of EU Ecodesign legislation and regulations for industrial and lighting products, and in practices to stimulate procurement of energy efficient products by public entities.
The director of Energy-Strategies, Wolfgang F. Lutz was contracted by ICF International as Team Leader, in charge of coordinating the team and providing own contributions to the following tasks:
- Policy review and recommendations for transposition of the Ecodesign Directive 2009/125/EC and Implementing Measures for the following products: (i) power transformers, (ii) electric motors, (iii) ventilators driven by motors, (iv) water pumps, (v) circulators, (vi) directional lamps;
- Drafting the framework Ecodesign Technical Regulation and six product-specific Technical Regulations;
- Preparation of cost-benefit analyses for six products;
- Assisting SAEE in establishing an Inter-ministerial Group (IMG) and a Technical Consultation Group (TCG) of stakeholders, including manufacturers;
- Presentation of draft Technical Regulations to the IMG and TCG and addressing comments received;
- Assisting SAEE in the inter-agency approval process of the framework Ecodesign Technical Regulation and six product-specific Technical Regulations;
- Assisting SAEE in drafting an article on Ecodesign for the draft Energy Efficiency Law of Ukraine and of an Article addressing procurement of energy efficient products and services by public entities;
- Advising SAEE and the ProZorro team of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade in the inclusion of energy efficiency criteria in the ProZorro e-procurement platform;
- Assistance to the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade in preparing concordance tables with corresponding EU regulations.
Under his leadership, the team successfully paved the way for the adoption, by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, of Technical Regulation No 804 of 3 October 2018, transposing the Ecodesign Regulation 2009/125/EC. It is expected that the six product-specific Technical Regulations will be adopted soon.